Street closures on April 16th
We just found out about some street closures due to the Vaisakhi Parade, organized by the Khalsa Diwan Society, will take place Saturday, April 16th, 2011 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The City is closing the following streets to accommodate the parade
- westbound traffic on Southeast Marine Drive, from Ross to Main Street
- Main Street from Marine Drive to 49th Avenue
- 49th Avenue from Main to Fraser
- Fraser Street, from 49th to 57th Avenue
- East 57th from Fraser to Ross
- Ross Street from East 57th to Southeast Marine Drive.
The parade draws a large number of spectators (approximately 50,000 people are expected to attend) and moves very slowly.
The area around Main Street, from 49th Avenue to 53rd Avenue, becomes very congested. Residents and commuters are advised to use alternate routes, including transit re-routes.